In many ways, America's environment
has improved dramatically since the first Earth Day in 1970. The quality
of the nation's air has improved substantially with respect to many pollutants,
particularly lead after it was phased out as a gasoline additive several
years ago. Water pollution from "point sources" like industrial facilities
and wastewater treatment plants has seen similar improvement, though
pollution from "nonpoint" sources -- principally urban, suburban and
agriculture runoff -- has proved an intractable problem of ongoing concern.
While these and other domestic environmental
issues draw continued attention, however, many environmentalists are now
placing international issues at the top of their list of priorities.
Issues like global warming, population growth, deforestation, and the
continued loss of many species of plants and animals have reached increasing
prominence on the environmental agenda.
These issues are not without controversy.
While few people consider themselves anti-environment, many environmental
policies draw considerable opposition from those who are adversely affected
economically. Domestically, industries complain of a heavy regulatory
burden and question the benefits of new environmental proposals. Property
owners complain that their rights are being infringed. There is also
significant conflict in the international arena, where poor, developing nations
argue that they can not afford new environmental restrictions and that
rich, industrialized nations, who have until recently been the world's
primary polluters, should shoulder most of the burden.
All of these issues, both domestic and
international, are the focus of this section.
- Political Magazines: The Almanac's links to political and public policy magazine sites.
- Public Policy Jobs: Sites listing public policy, lobbying, and media jobs in government and at major national organizations.
- Questia: Search over 400,000 books and journals at Questia online.
- About.com: Environmental Issues: Recent environmental news and links from About.com.
- Anti-Environmental Myths: Provides information and resources on anti-environmental myths.
- Brookings Institution - Environment and Development Initiative
- Cato Institute - Environment and Climate
- Cato Institute - Environmental Law and Regulation
- Center for American Progress - Environment
- Center for Environmental Studies: Resources from the Pacific Research Institute supporting ways to improve the environment by using property rights, markets, local action, and private initiative.
- Competitive Enterprise Institute - Environment
- Congressional Research Service Environmental Reports: Provided by National Council for Science and the Environment.
- E - The Environmental Magazine: Covering environmental issues such as global warming, ozone depletion, acid rain, green living, ecology, alternative energy, biodiversity, endangered species, the nonprofit community... and from the personal to the political always with a 'what you can do' emphasis. You can read it online or subscribe.
- Earth First! The Radical Environmental Journal: Sample news from Earth First! and the radical environmental movement; informative articles, debate, analysis.
- Green Earth Journal: Environmental news report with information from many sources. Archives and free subscription information.
- Green Neighborhoods Initiative: Organisation that is pro-development, pro-environmental, and pro-livability.
- National Wildlife Magazine: This NWF publication educates readers about conservation issues and to explore the latest discoveries affecting the natural world. Its articles place special emphasis on what individuals can do to help solve environmental problems. The magazine is published bimonthly by the National Wildlife Federation, a nonprofit conservation education group.
- NewEnvironmentalism.org: New Environmentalism.org is a project to identify and promote innovative approaches to addressing serious environmental challenges and creating a society of self-motivated environmental stewards.
- NewsBatch.com: Environmental Issues
- OnEarth Magazine: Magazine on environmental affairs, particularly those relating to policies. Published by the Natural Resources Defense Council, previously known as 'The Amicus Journal.'
- Sierra Magazine: Online version of Sierra Magazine, published monthly by the Sierra Club
- Townhall.com - Energy and the Environment
- Wikipedia: List of Environmental Topics